Applying for your Visa

Applying for your Visa

Information about applying for your visa is available from the link below:

The visa you will require for extended courses, i.e. those lasting 12 weeks or longer, is a Student Visa, (sub-class 500)

To start applying for your Visa, you will need to obtain a Letter of Offer from us. We will provide this when you submit a formal application to study with us. The second stage requires you to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment certificate from us and proof of your student health insurance before the visa is issued.

You may wish to use the services of a Migration Agent or Education Consultant to assist with applying for your visa. Most students find that this is unnecessary – the process is quite simple if you follow the instructions and checklist available. Many agents advertise that their services are free to the student. However, they do demand a significant commission, often up to 10% of the course fee from the education institution which must then recoup this amount by an equivalent increase in the academic fee. RVAC does not pay commissions to agents, nor does it inflate its fees to cover such an expense. If you do use an agent, you will need to meet his fees personally.



It is a requirement for issue of your visa that you have an adequate level of English language skill.

External requirements

There are two independent requirements for English language proficiency for international students at RVAC. These requirements are mandated by:

– Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) who are responsible for the issue of student visas (see the DIBP requirements here); and

– Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), who issue all pilot licences, including student pilot licences (see CASA requirements here). CASA regards English language proficiency as a safety issue and as a requirement for minimum International Civil Aviation     Organization (ICAO) language proficiency standards by the time the training is completed.

These differing requirements are not interchangeable: both requirements must be satisfied. All international students must meet the minimum English Language requirements of the course they are applying for.

Both CASA and DIBP accept International English Languages Testing System (IELTS) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as acceptable independent language tests.

Royal Victorian Aero Club requirements

At the time of application Royal Victorian Aero Club requires International Students applying for direct entry into RVAC courses to provide documentary evidence of one of the following:

  1. Completed or are still undertaking secondary school education in an Australian or New Zealand educational institution, or have completed the equivalent of an Australian secondary school education in a foreign country where one of the principle mediums of instruction was English; or
  2. Spent 3 of the last 5 years working in Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, USA, or Canada; or
  3. Met or exceeded the stated scores in the following internationally recognised general English language tests:
  • General training module of the International English Languages Testing System (IELTS) with minimum overall grade of 6; (
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language internet based test (TOEFL iBT) with a test score of 71; or
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language paper-based test (TOEFL PB) with a test score of 550 (where IELTS is not available). (

Where documentary evidence is non-existent for the applicant meeting standards 1 or 2, the applicant may swear a statutory declaration stating how they meet that standard, and why they cannot produce the documentary evidence proving that they meet it.

Please note that tests older than two years are not acceptable.



It is a requirement of your visa conditions that you take out insurance cover in case of sickness or injury while in Australia. A number of large organisations can provide this service. It is the student’s responsibility to keep this insurance current.

The Australian Government maintains a website with information about private health insurance, which specifically discusses this requirement – that page can be found here.

Further information from various insurers relating to overseas students can be found here:

Want to talk to someone about studying in Melbourne?

For more information please call RVAC Flight Training Melbourne on +61 3 8586 7777, or visit our contact page to get in touch.